Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Amazing Drivers License Victory

Most people I know absolutely hate the picture on their drivers license. Usually for good reason. The lighting is poor, the "photographer" doesn't give you any warning before pressing that little button, and most pictures closely resemble either mug shots or a deer caught in headlights. Mine is no better... But today I learned to love my drivers license picture. Here is said glorious picture, read on for the story of why it is no longer so offensive to me:


I was at Office Max picking up a few last minute supplies for my classroom (back to school this week, let the craziness begin!). I handed the cashier my credit card to pay for my items and she asked for identification to verify it was my card. Now, I don't find that cashiers typically comment on customer's drivers licenses, although I'm sure they see a fair amount of horrendous photos. However, today my cashier immediately said "Wow, have you lost weight?!" loudly enough that several other people started looking! I responded "Yeah, thanks for noticing." She went on to proclaim how fantastic I looked and asked a whole bunch of questions like how did I do it, how much have I lost, do I feel different, etc.

Wow! I felt like a minor celebrity there in the checkout line! No one had ever noticed I lost weight before solely by looking at the picture on my drivers license and boy did it feel fantastic to be recognized for that accomplishment! It was such an inspiration to myself to think that a complete stranger could see my progress just by glancing at an old grainy photo the size of a postage stamp. Sometimes just when you need that little extra push to get through the day without ordering greasy takeout, it just comes out of nowhere and bites you!

Go me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment