Monday, August 23, 2010

Eat 'em if you've got 'em!

Clearly I'm a fan of Weight Watchers. I know it's not for everyone, and there are other healthy lifestyle plans that work for others, but WW has worked for me, so I'm an advocate of the program. However, there is one aspect of the program that I sometimes wonder if it's working AGAINST me!

Confession of the day: I have a love/hate relationship with weekly points.

See, I really appreciate the concept of the weekly points. Obviously they are WWs way of helping us through situations like:
- I chose the chicken entree (thinking I was making a healthy choice) from a wedding menu and the plate appeared in front of me with fried chicken smothered in cheese... Good thing I have weeklies left!
OR
- I had a healthy dinner planned but my best friend had a crisis so I ended up meeting her for drinks, which turned into dinner, which turned into more drinks... Good thing I can use my weeklies!
OR
- It was the end of the school year and one of my students brought me a donut as a thank you for being his teacher. I didn't REALLY want it, but it was a sweet gesture and I didn't want to seem ungrateful so I ate half... Oh well, I'll just use my weeklies.

All of these are situations in which I really feel okay about using my weekly points allowance. That's what they are there for, right? I try to use them for things like ordering mishaps, evenings out with friends (even then I still try to make the healthiest choices) or food surprises that I don't have the willpower (or heart, sometimes) to completely refuse.

However...

It seems like there are so many instances in which using my weeklies is completely unnecessary, but I decide to do it anyway. I feel like all I am doing by using weeklies this way is cultivating my ongoing unhealthy relationship with food! Argh!!

Case in point: Yesterday. Yesterday I made a day trip with my fabulous family (my hub, mom, dad, aunt, cousin, other cousin and her hub, other cousin and her boyfriend) to a glassblowing museum. Very cool, I even got to learn how to make a Christmas ornament by blowing glass!! (That's me, below, in my awesome safety glasses, getting ready to use my new skills).


Not knowing the food situation for the day, I ate a substantial breakfast of oatmeal with berries, a peach, and coffee. We didn't end up leaving the museum and getting to eat lunch until 3:00 and by then I was absolutely ravenous! My dad chose Bob Evans for lunch. I had never eaten there before so on the drive from the museum to Bob Evans I did a quick search using my "Eat This, Not That" app on my iPhone to see what kind of healthy options there might be. Even though I was super hungry and others were ordering tempting items like fried appetizers and cheesy omelets with biscuits, I managed to order reasonably healthy. I ordered from their "Fit from the Farm" menu, the only place where they showed nutritional info, so I felt pretty good about that choice!

Since the museum was a few hours away from where we live, by the time my hub and I were getting close to home, I was actually a little hungry again. Could I have gone home and had a snack and been perfectly fine? Would I have stayed within my daily points, even after eating out at Bob Evans? Would I have been able to avoid using unnecessary weeklies? Yes, yes, and yes.

But... Knowing I had all my weeklies left, and feeling tired and lazy, and craving something unhealthy and cheesy after watching everyone else eat at Bob Evans, what do you think I did instead? This is what I did:


... And I used about 20 weeklies on it.

Disclaimer: The breadsticks were for the hub, not me! I didn't touch them! And it was a thin crust veggie lovers pizza.

So it could have been worse. Definitely worse. But still, I get so annoyed with myself after the fact that I made good choices all day long and then made a not-so-great choice just because I had all my weeklies left. And ONLY for that reason. I made it through a wedding on Saturday making really great choices and not using any weeklies. I made it through a day of travel on Sunday and eating out at an unfamiliar restaurant. Yet I knew my points reset on Tuesday, so I might as well use them up on garbage.

See? Love/hate... I need to figure out a way to focus on the health aspect of eating and ditch the "eat 'em if you've got 'em" mentality!

No comments:

Post a Comment